Position Title: Director of News & Public Affairs
Department: WBFO Radio
Division: Radio Broadcasting
Reports to: Chief Program Officer
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Date: March 7, 2014
The News Director is responsible for the management of WBFO Radio and the news department and ensures the highest journalistic standards and public service ethics are met. Supervises all news gathering activity, in charge of day-to-day operations of the newsroom, and sets policy & procedures for news department staff. The News Director is responsible for overseeing the news and public affairs content of local programs produced by WNED-TV. Working with senior management, creates and implements the vision, strategy and plan to enable WBFO to be a valued and critical community news and information service. Works with other departments on cross platform projects related to news and public affairs, creating high quality news and information programming for broadcast, web and mobile.
II. Duties & Responsibilities: % Time Spent
- Oversees the operation of WBFO, including the full day program 70%
schedule, local programming and production, and the 24/7 news gathering
operation; oversees all WBFO new and digital media activities; maintains
budgets, develops procedures & policies for station operations, evaluates
staff development & performance; schedules staff; makes hiring
recommendations; plans and administers departmental and project budgets;
works with development department to coordinate on-air fund drives.
- Establishes and maintains partnerships with other news and community 5%
organizations to further WNYPBA goals, serves as primary contact with
NPR and other public radio entities, and represents WBFO at community
and professional events.
- Serves as a member of the President’s Staff, taking part in regular 10%
meetings, discussions and reviews of overall organizational activities
and operations; participates in strategic planning and annual planning
for WBFO and other departments and activities.
- Oversees content and editorial standards for WNED-TV news and public 15%
affairs programs including community forums, long form interviews,
debates and other news and public affairs programs.
Qualifications & Experience:
· Significant journalism and reporting experience with demonstrated skills in writing, reporting and editing procedures.
· Experience in maintaining the high journalistic standards including objectivity, balance and fairness.
· Minimum 4-6 years of public radio experience including management or supervisory experience, but will consider combination of public and commercial radio experience.
· Strong communications and leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to work with internal and external partners and the ability to lead, train, grow and motivate staff.
· Knowledge of online news platforms and production.
· Bachelor’s degree from accredited university in journalism, broadcasting or related field.