News Director – WBFO
Buffalo, NY, United States – Full Time
WNED | WBFO, Buffalo-Toronto is seeking a News Director to manage the WBFO radio news operation. WBFO is the NPR station serving Western New York and Southern Ontario. The News Director oversees the 24/7 news gathering operation and the work of 17 full-time and part-time news staff and a half-dozen news contributors.
The News Director is in charge of the day-to-day operation of the newsroom. The WBFO newsroom covers local and regional news with an emphasis on in-depth, original reporting on the issues facing the community. WBFO has a proven record of developing and funding news and public affairs projects that allow for on-going, in-depth coverage of important community issues. Recent projects include a CPB funded Regional Journalism Collaboration, several funded News Desks, and funded projects focusing on issues such as racial equity, immigration, and mental health.
The News Director also oversees the news and public affairs content of local TV productions and oversees WBFO’s digital, web and social media activities and strategies. In collaboration with senior management, this position creates and implements the vision and strategy to enable WNED | WBFO to be a valued and critical community news and information service.
We are looking for an individual who has:
- Solid journalistic and public service standards that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content.
- Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content.
- Outstanding organizational and management skills with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to strategically lead, inspire and manage a news team.
What you need to succeed:
- 10+ years of experience in radio, preferably public radio.
- 8+ years of experience leading a team of journalism professionals.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, broadcasting or a related field.
- Strong existing relationships with key press contacts.
Download this job description
Please email cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com OR mail to:
WNED | WBFO
PO Box 1263
Buffalo, NY 14240-1263