Western New York Public Broadcasting Association
WNED | WBFO
Buffalo & Southern Ontario
Position Title: Program Director
Reports to: Sr. Director of Radio/TV Programming
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Date Revised: September 19, 2017
Classical 94.5 WNED FM, Buffalo NY is seeking a creative, energetic, and experienced leader to join our team as Program Director. The successful candidate will have a thorough knowledge of classical music, a firm grasp of today’s media landscape and a record of leadership. Primary responsibility will be the station’s programming, format and on-air sound. The Program Director will train and coach the on-air hosts in addition to hosting their own daily on-air shift. The position represents the station in the community and is involved in the planning and execution of on-air fundraising activities. And in collaboration with other department heads, will establish and implement annual and long-term strategic planning.
Celebrating its 40th Anniversary, Classical WNED is a 24-hour classical music service with live on-air hosts Monday – Friday and 12 hours on the weekend. The station harbors an ongoing broadcast and production relationship with the Grammy award-winning Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. The schedule is rounded out with the best of Symphonies from around the country, Sunday Baroque, Saturday Opera and locally produced Nick’s Flix. Reaching a weekly cume of 55,000 listeners. Classical 94.5 WNED is part of WNED | WBFO in Buffalo, NY, which also includes WNED-TV and WBFO Radio (NPR station). The stations serve Western New York and Southern Ontario. The Buffalo area is undergoing an economic and cultural renaissance and the Canadian market enhances the stations mission and fundraising opportunities.
- Essential Functions of Position:
- Provide leadership to the radio staff and establish a long-term vision and plan for the station.
- Establish and maintain a consistent sound and tone for the station; ensure that programming, format and on-air sound support the vision and plan of the station.
- Train and supervise all full and part-time program hosts.
- Host a regular on air shift.
- Develop an ongoing social media and digital strategy and manage social media content for the station.
- Represent WNED at community events/activities and in other station/community events as assigned.
- Participate in planning and execution of on-air fundraising activities; assist other departments with fundraising activities such as events, trips, and underwriting.
- Participate with other department heads in the preparation and implementation of annual and strategic planning.
- Serves as primary contact and executive producer for local audio, video and digital program content.
- Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Five years of experience in classical music radio hosting/programming Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- A comprehensive knowledge of classical music, its history, styles and performers
- Excellent management, organization and communication skills