Liona Boyd, “First Lady of the Guitar,” will be receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award from the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition on Saturday, June 9.
Classical 94.5 WNED-FM is the area’s 24-hour classical music service. The station harbors an ongoing broadcast and production relationship with the Grammy award-winning Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. Tune in for a symphonies, operas and concerts by philharmonic orchestras around the world.
WNED | WBFO and the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra are pleased to announce the dates for the 2018 JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition.
The competition will be taking place on June 6, 7 and 9, 2018.
The semifinals will take place in the WNED-TV Studios in downtown Buffalo on June 6 and 7, with the finals being held at Kleinhans Music Hall on June 9. The semifinals will be broadcast live on Classical 94.5 WNED and streamed online here on our website, at the Classical 94.5 WNED Facebook page and on the WNED | WBFO YouTube channel Wednesday, June 6 and Thursday, June 7 at 7:30pm.
For more information about the JoAnn Falletta International Concerto Competition click here.
Liona Boyd, First Lady of Classical Guitar, will be presented the first-ever Lifetime Achievement Award at the event.
DONATE TO THE COMPETITION
Support talented young guitarists and the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition.
Liona Boyd Recipient of a Lifetime Achievement Award from JoAnn Falletta Guitar Competition
On Day 2 (June 7), the remaining four competitors will perform live with an accompanist at the WNED Studios, and the judges will select three finalist to perform with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra in the Finals on Saturday, June 9.
- Jack Cimo, a seasoned chamber musician and soloist who has been active in competitions as both an organizer and competitor, representing the United States.
- Junhong Kuang, a 17 year old who has recorded for Naxos and won top prizes in the ARD Music Competition, representing China.
- Igor Klokov, a graduate student at Mainz Hochschule fur Musik/Koblenz and winner of many guitar competitions in Europe, representing Russia.
- Chinnawat Themkumwun, a 37-time prizewinner in Asia and Europe, representing Thailand.
Watch the Semi-finals streaming here, Wednesday , June 6 at 7:30pm! The first four semi-finalists in the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto Competition perform live with an accompanist from the WNED Studios. TheSemi-finals will also be broadcast live on Classical 94.5 WNED.
- Tengyue “TY” Zhang, the first-prize winner of the 2017 Guitar Foundation of America International Concert Artists Competition, representing China.
- Bokyung Byun, a multi-competition winner and doctoral candidate at University of Southern California who has been performing publicly since age 11, representing South Korea.
- Congyi Zhang, a graduate student at Mannes School of Music and frequent performer throughout Canada and the United States, representing China.
- Bradly Pupa, a faculty member at California Conservatory of Music and a graduate student at the San Francisco Conservatory, representing the United States.
Congratulations Bokyung Byun!
Bokyung Byun of South Korea is the first woman to win the JoAnn Falletta International Guitar Concerto competition. Byun also won the Musicians Choice award as voted by the BPO.
Classical 94.5 WNED Production
From Sorrow to Joy— Od Żalu do Radości is a celebration of the music, customs and traditions of Poland and Polish Americans. Listen to this Classical 94.5 WNED original production.
Not into Mozart, Beethoven, or Bach? If you aren't listening to classical music, you could be missing out on a number of mental and physical benefits.
Celebrating 40 Years, Classical 94.5 WNED
Watch how businesses all around our region are sharing their love of classical music with you!
You might enjoy these programs and stories from Public Television and Radio
The next time you’re in a creativity slump and need to get some writing done pronto, try turning on Vivaldi, or a playlist specially suited for productivity.
Great Performances | PBSGreat Performances brings the best in the performing arts from across America and around the world to a television audience. It presents a diverse programming portfolio of classical music, opera, popular song, musical theater, dance, drama, and performance documentaries.
S44 Ep26: O mio rimorso | GMET: La Traviata
Michael Fabiano sings Alfredo's Act II cabaletta from La Traviata.
Dudamel Conducts LA Phil in John Williams Celebration
Composer John Williams is paid tribute at the LA Phil's gala opening night concert.
Live From Lincoln Center | PBSLive From Lincoln Center broadcasts world-class performances from the stages of Lincoln Center into homes across America. The pioneering series has sought to democratize the performing arts, making luminaries ranging from Luciano Pavarotti and Beverly Sills to Emma Thompson and Nathan Lane available to hundreds of millions of viewers, collecting 17 Emmy and 2 Peabody Awards.
Live From Lincoln Center
50 Years of Mostly Mozart
New York's beloved cultural event celebrates 50 years with a look back and a look ahead.
Great Performances | CLIPS
The Chorus | GP at the Met: Nabucco
The chorus in Nabucco at The Met perform an opera number.
On this podcast an overview of melodies for the piano, how they work, what they are, and what makes them beautiful.